Friday, May 2, 2008

"Tag" : Technorati is It! {Week 6}


[T13] Delicious is CRAZY (In a good way). I'm like a kid who just discovers the power something (i.e. like a button that turns something on and off). I think I've gone tag it mad. Nearly everything that crosses my path is getting smacked with a label. Watch out, you may be next! Te he he. jk. Seriously, though, I love being able to pull up things I like without searching all over for them. Before delicious, I used to jot down search words and instructions (i.e. click on the 4th hit then click on the 2nd and etc. etc.). Though I have yet to experience the collaborative aspect of delicious, I'm sure it'll come in very handy once I do.

[T14] Tagging blogs are outrageous. It's like gossip central. Technorati does a bang up job of pulling all these sources together.

[T15] The problem that I have with theories is that they don't necessarily translate well in terms of practicality. I'm all for patron empowerment and getting them to the point where they can use our services confidently and independently, but we have to be feasible in our applications. How many patrons have access to computers outside of the library? I might be mistaken, but I think most of them go to the library solely for that purpose. Shifting to web-based services might propel us into the future, but it will surely leave a huge number of patrons behind. However, I do like the idea of librarians working collaboratively with patrons to guide usage. Ideally, that's what we're striving for now.

AMENDMENT After reading a comment that a 2.0 learner made, I've adjust my stance. In essence this person states, 'we're not leaving behind our .75 or 1.5 patrons; we're simply providing more services to those patrons who want more to work with.' In that respect, web-based services would be wonderful.

I also think there's nothing wrong with having a back up system. "Just in case" web systems miraculously failed, there would be something to fall back on. I guess I'm cautious of what my math teacher use to refer to as the "Calculator Syndrome" (Everyone gets so used to punching in keys that no one remembers how to do simple arithmetic in their head anymore, especially if circumstances demand it).

No comments: